Finding university accommodation

If you are applying for University accommodation, you can choose whether you prefer to live in mixed or single-sex housing. The application form provides an opportunity for you to declare any additional circumstances or special requirements. If you wish to refer to your trans status, you can do so, and the Accommodations Department will work with you to meet your needs. Their staff receives sensitivity training on trans issues.

The webpage explaining provisions for students with special accommodation needs is here. (Note that, although the webpage is worded in such a way that focuses primarily on students with disabilities, the same consideration is afforded to everyone with specific accommodation needs.)

If you apply for mixed-gender housing, and there are not enough spaces available, some people may be automatically allocated to single-gender housing. This will be done according to the gender listed on their student record. If this creates a problem for you, again, the Accommodations Department will help resolve the situation. They are required to adhere to the Equality Act 2010 (which you can read here) and the University’s Statement of Equality Objectives (available here), meaning that the needs of anyone who falls into a protected category will be addressed as a matter of priority.

I’m looking for private accommodation.


Finding private accommodation

If you’re looking for privately rented accommodation, you may be wondering what your rights are. The Equality Act 2010 states that providers of housing must not discriminate on the basis of a person’s trans status or sexual orientation, so you should be protected in this regard. Click here for more information about this topic.

However, some of the landlords you encounter may not be aware of this legislation. As with any private housing arrangement, it’s a good idea to follow the tips and advice available from the University website. Remember to stay safe and bring a buddy along to any viewings. If you encounter any issues, you may wish to contact the Accommodation Office for help.